Monday, April 26, 2010

GM is becoming more transparent...we can see right through them


So, GM is announcing that it has "paid back its government loans, in full, ahead of schedule."


Previously I've mentioned that GM has a die-hard old-school mentality. Here is yet another relic from their past they are allowing to fester rather than kill once and for all - the willingness to insult the consumer's intelligence, and play people for fools.

I stand by my earlier position, that I am not in favour of lending these people any bailout money - fine, they got it, and the tune they're singing sounds much like the tune they sang as they marched headlong into bankruptcy.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. In the wake of one of the biggest bankruptcies in history, after being given taxpayer money against the popular will, if they still can't be straight with taxpayers, why should we rush out to a dealership to even glance at a GM product?

Exactly, we shouldn't.

But, some will argue, now that we are owners, of course we should buy "our own product." How will we get our money back if we don't buy? Let me ask that question another way - if GM understands that we must buy its products in order to make good on the investment, what motivation is there for them to produce good quality product?

They must survive in a competitive environment, one wherein poor quality is rewarded with failure. Their success must not be based on duress, that we "must buy from them." We should never have been put in this position in the first place, and there's no clear way out, except to believe they are going to do things differently.

This latest ad effort shows me we're off to a poor start.

No comments: